Go To Slableak.com For Slab Leak Repair | Arlington, TX
Photo By fizkes at istock
There are many maintenance issues within the home that are easy to detect. However, others happen in places where you may not be able to see right away. A slab leak is an example of this. If you are in need of slab leak repair, this is something that you need to take care of right away, as otherwise you could incur many damages to your home. It is a good idea to know more about slab leaks and repair so that you can prevent this situation from happening.
If you are in need of slab leak repair in the City of Arlington, TX, you should look into Slableak.com and what this company has to offer.
What Is a Slab Leak?
The majority of modern homes have concrete slab foundations. In these foundations, there is a layer of concrete that is placed or poured onto a surface that is made of gravel or soil. After this, the house is built on top of this slab. If there is any damage to the slab, it will undermine the structural integrity of the whole house. If your plumbing system leaks under the concrete slab foundation, this will create what is known as a slab leak. This can end up in disaster, because of a number of issues that are only going to be exacerbated if the leak is not fixed. There are several things that can cause slab leaks. Some are as follows:
- Excess pressure. A lot of the time, underground pipes are under heavy pressure. This can eventually cause them to crack. This is very common in areas that have clay soil. These types of soils will expand when they are wet and shrink when they are dry. This will cause the ground located under the foundation to shift. This will then put pressure on the pipes and the slab. An earthquake can also cause this kind of situation.
- Corrosion. Pipes that are located underground make direct contact with soil, as well as the metals within the soil. This can actually lead to galvanic corrosion, which is a type of corrosion that is caused by contact between two metals. If this happens, it can create holes in your pipe, which can lead to a leak.
- Abrasion. Water that flows through the pipes can cause them to vibrate. If a pipe happens to be next to some sort of hard surface, the metal could wear away at the location where it is rubbing against that surface. Eventually, this will create a hole, and the pipe will leak.
Signs That You Need Slab Leak Repair
There are few symptoms of a slab leak that will be indicative that you need slab leak repair. These symptoms are not always obvious, and some of them can be easy to mistake for other issues. However, if you notice any of these symptoms, it is a good idea to look into it further and possibly call in a slab leak professional to come in and check it out. Some of the symptoms are as follows:
- Sounds of running water. If from time to time, you are hearing water that is running under your floor when none of the appliances that use water or taps are on, there is a good chance that you might be in need of slab leak repair.
- Heat in the floor. If you have a part of the floor or the entire floor that is unusually warm, this will suggest that there might be a leak in the hot water line. It might be a good idea to walk barefoot on the floor because it will make these hot spots easier to feel.
- Puddles. If you see puddles along the side of your home with no obvious cause, this could be coming from cracks in your foundation that have been caused by a slab leak. You might also see puddles on the inside of your home, coming from underneath the cabinet, from the bottom of a wall, or from between tiles. This is most likely to occur in the bathroom or kitchen near a pipe or fixture.
- Mold. If you are in need of slab leak repair, it is likely that there will be growth of mildew and mold because of the moisture. If you find mold located under your carpets, it is possible that the moisture that is causing it to grow comes from a slab leak.
- Water use that is abnormally high. Here, the most obvious sign will be that the dial that is located on your water meter is spinning constantly. This indicates that water is being used even when all of the tabs are closed and all of the appliances that use water are off. If you have a leak in a hot water line, this is going to have your water heater running all the time as well. You might also notice that your water bill is much higher than normal, even without you consciously using more water. If this kind of issue is showing up, it usually indicates that there is a leak located somewhere within the plumbing system. You should call in a slab leak professional to come in, perform an inspection, and determine if there is a slab leak in the system.
- Cracks. If there is a crack in your flooring, walls, or slab foundation, this could be caused by water damage that has happened as a result of a slab leak.
There are many more symptoms that could indicate a potential need for slab leak repair, but the above are some of the most common. If you suspect a slab leak at all, you should call in a repair professional to evaluate the situation.
If you live in Arlington, TX and are in need of slab leak repair, you should consider contacting the professionals at Slableak.com. They will be able to answer any questions that you have about slab leak repair and possibly point you in the right direction in terms of what needs to be done in your own home.